Now in the vehicle shock parts market, Complete Strut and Shock Absorber are both popular. When need to replace Vehicle shock , how to choose? Here are tips:
Struts and shocks are very similar in function, but very different in design. The job of both is to control excessive spring motion; however, struts are also a structural component of the suspension. Struts can take the place of two or three conventional suspension components and are often used as a pivot point for steering and to adjust the position of the wheels for alignment purposes. Generally, we heard of replacement of shock absorbers or dampers. It refers to only replacing a shock absorber or a bare strut separately and still use older coil spring, mount, buffer and other strut parts. However, it will lead problems such as spring elasticity attenuation, mount aging, buffer deformation from overuse to influence lifetime of new shock absorbers as well as your comfortable driving. Finally, you have to replace those parts immediately. Complete Strut is composed of shock absorber, coil spring, mount, buffer and all related parts to restore a vehicle's original ride height, handing and control capabilities one time.
Tips: Don't settle for just replacing a bare strut which can lead to ride height and steering tracking problems down the road.
Shock Absorber(Bare Strut)
1. Mark the nuts on the upper mount before disassembly in order to install the new strut in the correct position.
2. Disassemble the complete strut.
3. Disassemble the complete strut by a special spring machine and mark the components during disassembly in order to install them back in the correct position, or the wrong installation will cause force change or noise.
4. Replace the old strut.
5. Inspect the other parts: Inspect whether the bearing is in flexible rotation or damaged with sediment, whether the bumper, boot kit and isolator is damaged. If the bearing is in bad working or damaged, please replace a new one, or it will affect the life of the strut or cause noise.
6. Completely Strut install: Firstly, do not hit or clamp the piston rod by any hard object during assembly avoiding to damage the surface of the piston rod and cause the leakage. Secondly, ensure all the components in correct position avoiding to noise.
7. Install the complete strut on the car.
You can start to replace only from the sixth step above. So it is a all-in-one solution for completely strut installation, more easier and quicker.
Tips: From installation procedures, if you only want to replace a shock, you need to go to vehicle repair stores who have special machine to help component disassembly and installation. However, if you directly replace a completely strut, you can do the job yourself at home without need of component disassembly and installation. Besides, A completely strut do the job right and replace the strut, spring and related parts at the same time, without chance of missing parts, improving steering and handing and improving braking ability.
Shock Absorber Cost = Strut Purchase + Vehicle Store Repairing Cost
Completely Strut Cost=Completely Strut Purchase
Tips: Actually, a strut is cheaper than a completely strut in the market. But when you replace a strut, you also have to pay vehicle store repair fee. So if there is high cost in repair, a completely strut is a better choice; you can do the job at home without extra cost.